Thursday, June 18, 2009

Third Party Disk Defragmentation Programs

As you use your computer files and data is moved around on your hard drive. This produces what is called fragmentation. As fragments build up they can slow down your computer. Disk Defragmentation should be done every so often to keep your computer running fast and smooth. But the defragmentation program that came with your operating system might not be the best and fastest way to defrag your hard drive. There are many third party programs out there, some which are less than trustworthy. So I am going to talk about a couple defrag programs that I have used and liked in the past. All of which I have personally tested. Some are free, some are not. Like everything else I talk about, I have no affiliation to any of these programs, and what I write is my own opinion.

Piriform's Defraggler is a great program. I install it on most computers because it is quick and easy to use. It's also a very small program, so you can easily put in on a flash drive and carry it around with you. Its free, unless you care to pay for Priority support. They have two flavors of Defraggler, a home version, and a business version. One of the things that drew me to Defraggler is that it has both a 32-bit and 64-bit version.

Diskeeper is a reliable and powerful program to keep your disks free of fragmentation. I used it a while ago to handle one of my computers that had three hard drives and it did wonders. Diskeeper comes in many different versions for home and business and everything in between, including for home servers. They even offer discounts if you are a buying in bulk. For networks they have this manager that allows a single person to control defragmentation on a network wide setup. If you are not sure you want to buy it, take a look at their 30 day trial.

PerfectDisk11 I have not had the chance to use PerfectDisk11 a lot, but in the few months that I did use it, it was useful. It not only managed all my drives, but it had a bunch of features that not only allowed it to run faster and quicker but it also optimized my boot times. While I was running PerfectDisk I was able to not only use my computer, but my computer ran almost as fast as it did when it was not being defragmented. It also allowed me to control almost every aspect of it. You should defiantly take a look at this program. Unfortunately you need to pay for it, but you can get a 30-day trial.

These programs should hopefully help you defragment your hard drives, and keep them defragmented. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment